I still remember the day in 2003 when I asked my husband for help to find a file my computer appeared to have swallowed. Again. His patience was long gone and he politely handed me a Microsoft manual about 1000 pages thick. I wanted to cry. Anything more complicated than sending an email was extremely challenging and I didn’t have a clue what I was doing. But I had a dream to take my natural health practice online so I could reach a lot more people. I could see the potential of taking my skills globally and dreamt of selling my services online so I could help more people and make some extra money.
If I’d known how long it would actually take me to learn how to business online I’m not sure I would have been so enthusiastic. There have been many ups and downs along the way and multiple occasions when I’ve thought about packing it all in. Then I’d remember where I was just a few short years ago, dust myself down and carry on. Eventually all the late nights staring at the laptop have paid off and I now run a global coaching practice teaching groups of women from all over the world how to have a profitable online business via interactive classrooms. I run regular retreats, speak in several countries and (mostly) have the lifestyle I craved all those years ago.
Here are 5 steps that will help you to create a successful online business:
- Create a clear vision and plan for the next 3 years. Yes, plans can change but you wont hit any target if you don’t know what you’re aiming for.
- Choose 1 income stream and stick to it until you’re successful before adding in other income streams. Whether you want to write a best-selling eBook, become a motivational speaker, run webinars, facilitate online programs or have your own retreat at an exotic location; doing one thing at a time works.
- Know that you can’t help everyone. Pick your ideal client group, the more ‘niched’ you can be the better. Give these people plenty of good quality free content via a blog, social media posts and never be afraid of giving away your ‘best stuff’, that’s the secret to getting paid online.
- Commit to making it work. There are solutions to every hurdle and get used to things not working out. All successful businesses fail time and time again; this is the way we learn to create success.
- Get out of your own way! I say this with love, but the biggest thing stopping us from having a successful business is ourselves. Not everyone is going to love what you’re doing and that’s fine, you just need to reach the people who need your help. We can fear not knowing enough, not being experienced enough, not making enough money or fear that we will fail. Don’t let fear stop you as the bad news is that fear never goes away! But you can get better at dealing with it and know that it’s all part of the fun of entrepreneurship.
Lastly I want to say that a successful online business needs to come from a place of wellbeing. That may sound crazy but if you wait for your business to be a success before you start looking after yourself, then you may never get become successful. Get all the support you need to make your dreams come true. Your dreams matter. You matter.